Traffic school is taught at 7:00 pm every third Thursday of the month
at the Bountiful City Police Station.
WHAT IS THE BOUNTIFUL TRAFFIC SCHOOL PROGRAM?
This is an optional class, taught by the Bountiful City Police Department, to make the public aware of the importance of obeying traffic laws and regulations, as well as discussion of specific traffic problems in Bountiful City. Fulfilling approved plea in abeyance agreement requirements and the Bountiful Traffic School will result in dismissal of eligible traffic violations.
In compliance with Utah law, a plea in abeyance is reported to the Utah Driver’s License Division. According to their policy, a plea in abeyance disposition is not reported to insurance companies unless the violator holds a Commercial Driver’s License (“CDL”).
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOUNTIFUL TRAFFIC SCHOOL PROGRAM?
You may be eligible if:
1) you had a valid driver’s license at the time you were cited for the current traffic violation;
2) you have not had a moving violation in the past three (3) years including any diverted from prosecution, held in abeyance or dismissed under a diversion or plea in abeyance agreement;
3) you are appearing in the Second District Court, Bountiful Department, for any moving violation occurring on or after 1 October 2009 except for the following offenses:
a) Speeding 21 miles per hour or more in excess of the posted limit;
b) any violation which causes personal injury or property damage;
c) any violation which is classified as a “non-moving” traffic offense in the Utah Uniform Bail/Fine Schedule;
d) any violation excluded for eligibility by the Bountiful City Prosecutor.
You are not eligible if:
1) a late fee, delinquent fee and/or warrant fee has been assessed on the current ticket;
2) a Bench Warrant and/or Order to Show Cause has been issued on the current;
3) if you have had a moving violation dismissed by attending the Bountiful Traffic School in the past two (2) years
4) you have been cited for a “non-moving”traffic offense.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOUNTIFUL TRAFFIC SCHOOL PROGRAM?
1. Meet all of the eligibility requirements described in Section II, supra;
2. Call the Second District Court, Bountiful Department, at 801-397-7000 and set your case for a pre-trial conference with the Bountiful Prosecutor;
3. Appear timely at your pre-trial conference where your eligibility and qualification will be reviewed using your driving record;
4. Sign a plea in abeyance agreement;
5. Pay a non-refundable plea in abeyance fee that is equal to the fine and surcharges listed in the Utah Uniform Bail/Fine Forfeiture Schedule together with a security fee of $40.00 to the Second District Court, Bountiful Department;
6. Pay a non-refundable fee of $50.00 to the Bountiful Police Records Division, located on the main floor of the Police Department, for the Bountiful Traffic School; The Records Division is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(ALL FEES MUST BE PAID BEFORE ATTENDING THE BOUNTIFUL POLICE TRAFFIC SCHOOL)
7. Attend the Bountiful Traffic School within 90 days of signing your plea in abeyance agreement (You must provide the instructor with the following information: a valid picture identification, the court receipt showing payment of court fees, and the city receipt showing payment of traffic school registration fee. If you do not provide this documentation you will be denied entrance to the traffic school and you will have to take the class on another date within the 90 day period after signing your plea in abeyance agreement).
**PLEASE TAKE NOTE** If you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions of your plea in abeyance agreement your plea in abeyance fee and traffic school registration fee will be forfeited, and the charge to which you have pled guilty will be entered as a conviction.
REMEMBER: The Bountiful Traffic School Program is not an option once the citation has been paid, bail forfeited, late notices/fees issued, warrants ordered and/or issued, you are found guilty and/or sentenced.
State of Utah uniform/bail forfeiture schedule: http://www.utcourts.gov/resources/rules/ucja/append/c_fineba/FineBail_Schedule.pdf