With summer coming to an end and the start of the school year just around the corner, the Bountiful City Police Department would like to remind parents and drivers to do their part in keeping kids safe.
Parents should be proactive and take the time to talk about safety with their children before they head back to school.
The Bountiful City Police Department recommends that parents map out a safe route to school and walk the route with their children for a few days so they become familiar with the way.
Back-to-School-Safety-Checklist- Use this checklist provided by the National Safety Council to review important safety procedures to make sure your children are fully prepared for the school year.
Here are some simple reminders for drivers:
- Slow down and be especially alert in the residential neighborhoods and school zones
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs
- There are 20 school crossings equipped with a Crossing Guard during school crossing times. Each school crossing is marked with signs, 36″ orange cones, and painted school crossings. Many of them are 20 MPH reduced speed limit zones marked by flashing lights.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully
- Watch for children on and near the road at all times, especially in the morning and after school hours
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings. Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
Reminder for your kids:
- They should cross the street with an adult until they are at least 10 years old.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked vehicles.
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.
When Kids are Riding the School Bus:
- Wait for the bus to stop before approaching it from the curb.
- Check to see that no other traffic is coming before crossing the street after getting off the bus.
- Make sure to always remain in clear view of the bus driver while entering and exiting the bus.
- Children should always remain seated while the bus is moving.
It is illegal and dangerous to drive through any reduced speed zone and school crosswalk when it is occupied by anyone, regardless of their position in the crosswalk. Remain at a complete stop until the crosswalk is unoccupied.
Thanks for your assistance in keeping the children and crossing guards of Bountiful safe. If you should have any questions regarding Back to School safety, please call dispatch at 801-298-6000.